Thursday, January 14, 2010

More high scores -- 807.51!

One of my goals for this winter is to try and make it to 1000 miles on my bike, using the indoor trainer that my SO and I invested in a few months ago. While he finds it rather boring to be on the trainer staring at the stove for half an hour and pedaling away like a hamster, I actually really like this setup. When I work from home for the day my opportunities for exercising are somewhat limited, and it's nice to be able to pop on my shorts and ride for half an hour when I get sick of writing my dissertation without having to think about where I'll ride or how much time it will take me to get to and from the gym.

I was at around 750 miles on our winter solstice ride, and as you can see four weeks later I'm up over 800, which I think is not too bad considering we were in Canada for at least a week of that. With about ten weeks or so before we have even the hope of good weather in Ithaca, I'll have to ride about 20 miles a week to make it to my goal (which is about three rides a week, if I ride for half an hour at an average of 14mph).

It's kind of annoying to me that it will take three rides a week to get such pitiful mileage -- when I was living in Portland, for example, I was riding about 50 miles a week just from my daily commute. It's nice to have a setup where work is just far enough away to give you regular exercise, and the 10 mile round trip for me was perfect. I suppose now I have the rather hilly walk into campus as my daily commute, but unfortunately that doesn't show up on my odometer!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Even though I can't approve of your non-use of the metric system. Did you know that 807.51 mi = 1300 kilometers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll switch over to the metric system when you move back to Kaaaanada with me. But it is cool that I happened to land on almost 1300km exactly!

    ReplyDelete