Monday, January 11, 2010

Processor quilt... the project that never ends

One of the reasons that I wanted to start a blog was to encourage myself to document some of my projects in process, especially ongoing ones that I get somewhat less excited about as they drag out over months and months. The processor quilt is one of these projects. I've had the idea to do a computer themed quilt for a while now. I toyed with the idea of doing a motherboard quilt and even started sewing something along these lines, but I wasn't really happy with the design. Then about a year ago (almost exactly a year ago, actually), I saw this photo in a Technology Review photo essay, and I thought, now that would make a great quilt. The geometric shapes, the balance between detailed bits and big blocks of color all just said "quilt" to me, and as a bonus the colors already happen to match some of my bedroom furniture and sheets. I bought some awesome batiks, started on a pattern, and got less than halfway through sewing the red blocks in the bottom part of the image before I just ran out of steam -- too much work, not enough gratification. I ended up putting this aside in the unfinished objects pile while I worked on some clothes and other little projects that came together much more easily.

Well, a few weeks ago I was once again feeling the itch to work on this project. I started working on the top part of the quilt this time, and have actually made some pretty good progress with that part. I'd say I probably have somewhere between 30-40% of the quilt pieced now, and it's already turning out to be huge (but cool looking!). I have a few pictures of the quilt in progress on my camera that I'll upload in the coming days. Maybe putting them out there on the interweb will help keep me motivated to finish it?

No comments:

Post a Comment