Monday, February 8, 2010

Biking plans

My SO and I went to the Finger Lakes Cycling Club planning meeting/dinner this weekend, where people show pictures of bike tours that they've taken and plan for upcoming trips. I think that we are definitely going to sign up for this trip to the Adirondacks over Memorial Day weekend. It's a short trip which I think I'll be able to squeeze in even if the dissertation writing is making me crazy, and it's also a nice trip to do with the club since it's probably not a trip that we would be too likely to do on our own without a car. Years ago when I had a car, the SO and I went to the Adirondacks to do some hiking, and it was beautiful. We did one hike in particular that ended up at a peak where there was a old fire observation tower. I also remember being totally exhausted by the time that we actually made it to the top of the trail, about 1500 feet up. Behold, the very tired biketopus:

The biking routes also promise to be rather hilly -- one of the shortest routes (16 miles) has 1500 feet of climbing, and more in longer ones. Climbing is not exactly my idea of a good time, but at least I'm more practiced on hills after biking around Ithaca for a few years.

I got a little bit of biking in yesterday, and have now made it to 875 on the bike odometer. I'm probably a little bit behind in my 1000 mile goal, mostly because I've been back on campus more frequently now that the term has started. The ride to 1000 is now competing with my twice weekly yoga classes, and lately the bike seems to be losing! I'll be at home tomorrow, though, so maybe I'll try to get another ride in then.

No comments:

Post a Comment